Senior Database Administrator
Who are we?
Sky Global is a Software Technology Company that provides market-leading innovations in data security, mobile communications and digital commerce. Experiencing rapid growth, we have aggressive plans to launch multiple new products and therefore looking to expand our team with new top talent for our offices downtown.
What are we looking for?
Are you excited by an opportunity to be a thought leader in how databases are structured to ensure performance and security? Sky Global is looking for a Senior Database Administrator with expertise in MySQL and MS SQL databases. You will play an integral role within the team by being responsible for analyzing, troubleshooting, developing and maintaining complex MySQL and MS SQL backend databases in support of business operations.
What you will be doing:
- Provision MySQL instances, both in clustered and non-clustered configurations
- Ensure performance, security, and availability of MySQL and SQL databases
- Handle common database procedures, such as upgrade, backup, recovery, migration, etc.
- Daily database maintenance, user assistance and troubleshooting
- Installation, configuration, and upgrading of database software and related products
- Prepare documentations and specifications
- Profile server resource usage, optimize and tweak as necessary
- Analyze and resolve complex technical problems, including performance tuning, application design and debugging
- Conduct/support OS and hardware maintenance in coordination with system group
- Participate and perform migrations into Development/Production environments
- Monitor database backups and maintain recovery procedures
- Work through disaster recovery plans with other groups and departments
- Create and configure new accounts, databases and other server objects
- Communicate/collaborate effectively with team members and stakeholders
What you bring to the table:
- 7+ year of hands-on database administration experience with MySQL and MS SQL Database administration (everything from scripting, best practices, systems configurations, tuning and optimization, backups, and restores
- Expert proficiency in MySQL database management
- Proficient in writing and optimizing SQL statements
- Strong proficiency in MS SQL database management
- Experience in designing and implementing database structures
- Experience with automating DBA tasks
- Experience with replication configuration in MySQL
- Proficient managing Windows Servers
- Experience with data modeling and schema design
- Ability to plan resource requirements from high level specifications
- Strong logical and analytical thinker
- Able to find root causes of problems and quickly determine efficient solutions
- Can anticipate risks and mitigate in the moment
- Comfortable under high-stress and exhibits poise and focus
- Degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics or related subject
- Must have a valid work permit and be able to work on-site in Vancouver
Bonus points for:
- Hands-on experience in application development using MySQL
- MySQL certification
- Systems analysis and design experience
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl, Python
Why work with us?
- Work-life balance– We provide consistency and promote personal growth
- Local company– Our CEO and leadership team are all in the office – we are committed to improving our business and the environment for our team members.
- Exciting Industry– We embrace technology, continuous improvement and innovation. We are not stale, outdated and stagnant. We embrace new ideas and provide opportunities for people to learn new skills and gain experience with new technology. Our team is fun, dynamic, and driven.
- Culture – We are FUN! We take breaks to play Foosball & ping pong, we hang out at lunch with each other, and we have quarterly get-together events. We are a team of smart, driven people, and we get things done in our beautiful downtown office.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Extended health benefits (including massage, dental, etc)
- Opportunities for growth
- Company culture and events
- Mentorship and experience
- Dynamic work environment with great group of people